Silver Threads Service (STS) is a longstanding non-profit organization with a sterling reputation. Since we opened our doors in 1956, our services, programs and community partnerships have evolved to meet the changing needs of an ever-growing population of older seniors. Silver Threads Service currently operates two senior activity centres with support from the City of Victoria and the Municipality of Saanich. In Victoria the centre is located at 2340 Richmond Road and in Saanich the Les Passmore Centre is located at 286 Hampton Road. As well STS offers outreach programs in various locations across Greater Victoria.
Our programs and services address the social, health, activity, intellectual, and information needs of seniors and provide essential connections. These include:
- Connections to legal, housing, tax, care-giving, health, information/referral, and personal care services
- Connections to resources for “Aging in Place”
- Connections to social activities
- Connections to physical, fun, intellectual, and learning activities
- Connections to health services
- Connections to employment or volunteering opportunities
- Connections to online resources
The majority of our clientele are seniors, but our doors are open to everyone. We also serve the community at large – individuals who call or stop by our activity centres for information and referrals. These include caregivers of seniors, family members of seniors, and other seniors in general who are not registered in any of our programs.
We work with government, business and individuals to ensure a higher quality of life is achieved by promoting a senior-friendly environment on a day-to-day basis.
Silver Threads Service Annual Reports
Silver Threads Service is a charitable, not-for-profit society that enhances social connections and well-being for seniors. We do this by providing programs and services that are accessible to all.
Seniors in Greater Victoria are engaged and supported, enhancing their quality of life.
Core values or guiding principles are the foundation on which we deliver our mission and attain our vision:
- Excellence ~ We believe in offering high quality programs and services that respond to the changing and diverse needs of our community.
- Age-Friendly Communities ~ We believe in providing a safe and welcoming environment in our facilities, programs, and services that connect seniors to the community.
- Integrity ~ We believe in demonstrating organizational accountability and transparency.
- Respect ~ We believe in showing respect for our clients, our coworkers, and our community, and in demonstrating compassion within a non-judgmental, trusting environment.
- Financial Sustainability ~ We believe in securing diverse sources of revenue to ensure organizational resilience, and in developing self-generated revenue, and effective and efficient operations.
- Partnerships / Collaboration ~ We believe in mutually beneficial partnerships with organizations to serve our clients’ needs.
- Healthy Active Aging ~ We believe in supporting seniors in their quest for healthy active aging.
Canadian charitable number: 107981037RR0001