Silver Threads Service
Centre Program Coordinator – Victoria Centre
Silver Threads Service is seeking a full time Centre Program Coordinator to plan, develop and promote centre-based programs and events for seniors 55 years and better at the Victoria Centre of Silver Threads Service.
Reporting to the Executive Director the Centre Program Coordinator is responsible for the day to day operations of the Victoria Centre and works closely with the Saanich Centre Director and the team. The focus will be approximately 40% program and event planning, 40% marketing and promotion, 20% administration and other duties.
The successful candidate will be enthusiastic, customer service focused and able to build a warm and welcoming environment at the Centre, have a minimum of two years’ experience in recreation settings, experience in program and event planning and knowledge of the needs of older adults.
- Must satisfactorily complete a Police Information Check
- Current First Aid required and Food Safe an asset
- Flu Shot required
Resumes by Friday, November 24th.
Please no phone calls
James Bay New Horizons and Silver Threads Service
Senior Support Outreach Worker
Silver Threads Service and James Bay New Horizons are two senior serving organizations in Greater Victoria working in partnership on an Outreach Program first piloted in the fall of 2015 to connect with seniors living in rental housing that may be facing isolation.
The Senior Support Outreach Worker will be responsible for individual follow up including information referral and advocacy, utilizing bc211 and hosting information sessions across the region. Working closely with the two organizations and the Senior Community Outreach Worker the incumbent will expand this program to connect seniors to our centres, community resources and their neighbours so that they may remain independent and increase their quality of life.
Annual funding for this project has been made possible through a private donation through United Way Greater Victoria and is for a three-year renewable period.
- Make contact with Apartment Managers and/or caretakers to garner support to host information sessions and events in the meeting rooms or lobby of the building. Identify and communicate to residents who would benefit from contact.
- Set up display and provide resource and promotional materials to the participants.
- Monitor attendance, track intake, follow up calls to attendees and keep all statistical information and confidential records.
- Maintain contact and connections with attendees after the event and build connections.
- Contact past participants including Saanich residents (100) Victoria residents (350) and assist with follow
- Develop schedule of events and coordinate centre events (4) and information sessions (20) annually.
- Record statistical information including numbers of contacts, connections to resources and relationships built.
- Provide written anecdotal stories and information.
- Provide written evaluation with recommendations and next steps to the Executive Directors.
The successful candidate will:
- Have the ability to establish and maintain respectable working relationships with staff members and members of the Societies.
- Have strong partnership, relationship building and communication skills.
- Demonstrate empathy for and enjoy working closely with seniors.
- Display a strong understanding of the aging process and the ability to identify the mental, physical or emotional changes that seniors may face.
- Bring a working knowledge of community resources including bc211 and services for referrals.
- Be experienced with event and program planning.
- Model professional group facilitation and presentation skills.
- Police Information Check
- Current First Aid
- Valid driver license and own transportation
- Flu Shot
This is a 30-hour week position with a three-month probation period.
Wage is: $25.64 hourly
Applications by: Tuesday, November 21st
No phone calls please