City of Victoria Seniors Centres
Senior Community Outreach Worker
James Bay New Horizons (JBNH) and Silver Threads Service (STS) began working together in 2015 to reduce isolation of seniors. In 2020 this work was limited due to COVID-19 and we are looking to restart to address isolation and health that has been compounded by the pandemic. The Outreach Worker will provide one on one support as required to connect seniors to support and resources.
Thanks to the ongoing financial support from the City of Victoria this position will report to the Executive Directors of JBNH and STS and support the work of the three City of Victoria Senior Centres.
- To support seniors living independently in the community and support in improving all aspects of their health during the pandemic.
- To provide information and referral to address the needs seniors may have in a variety of areas
- To integrate seniors into programs and services to improve their quality of life
- To work collaboratively with the Senior Centres and other agencies for improved services and client referral
Facilitate one on one and online visits with seniors who may need support. This may be done by phone, or in person or by zoom.
Working knowledge of the schedule of the community centres and the services offered and promote to seniors in the community.
Manage database information, including client information, attendance, track intake, follow up calls to attendees and keep all statistical information and confidential records.
Maintain contact and connections with attendees after the initial contact and build appropriate, professional relationships.
- Manage a reasonable case load of senior clients.
- Record statistical information including numbers of contacts, connections to resources and relationships built.
- Provide written anecdotal stories and information.
- Provide written evaluation with recommendations and next steps to the Executive Directors.
The successful candidate will:
- Have the ability to establish and maintain respectable working relationships with staff members and members of the Societies.
- Demonstrate empathy for and enjoy working closely with seniors.
- Display a strong understanding of the aging process and the ability to identify any mental, physical or emotional changes that may be characterized by personality changes, confusion or the ability to focus on a conversation or task at hand.
- Have working knowledge of community resources and services for referrals.
- Professional designation in social work, counselling, nursing or related field an asset
- Police Information Check
- Current First Aid
- Police History Check
- Valid driver license and own transportation, Class 4 license would be an asset
This is a part time position 15 hours per week.
Applications by: April 28th, 2021
Please use the form below to apply.
No phone calls please